1520 Goodson St.
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Weekends, Holidays and Down Days
The School Liaison Officer is an advocate for the educational needs of our military children. He/She is a point of contact for military family members seeking assistance with school related matters. He/She networks and partners with the public school system, private schools and home schools to assist Seymour Johnson Air Force Base school age children in obtaining educational opportunities.
- Contact your Airman and Family Readiness Center, Relocation Program, for information on your gaining installation, and surrounding communities, and to obtain a Military Installation Guide at Military One Source.
- Visit the web page for both the state’s Department of Public Instruction and local County/District School system. If going overseas, visit the DODEA homepage.
- Contact the housing office at the gaining installation to determine the waiting period for on-base quarters. This may determine the school your child will attend. If you will be in temporary housing, contact your School Liaison Officer for assistance.
- Check the new school calendar for starting and ending dates.
- Be familiar with the process of transferring of records, school eligibility requirements (kindergarten age) and subsequent placement of the students.
- If you have a child of high school age, get information on the gaining state’s high school graduation requirements. Be familiar with the present and gaining school’s grading system and weighted grades. This may affect your child’s class standing/grade point average (GPA).
- Give the losing school(s) adequate notice of withdrawal.
- Hand carry all recommended school records. DO NOT PUT THESE RECORDS IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD GOODS!
- Contact the School Liaison Officer and school counselor for assistance.
Before you leave your current duty station:
- Contact your local special education counselor/director and request assistance as to what should be done before the transition to the new school. Write or contact the special education director for the district that you are going to and request local policies. If coming to Seymour Johnson AFB, contact the Wayne County Public Schools Exceptional Children Program Staff at (919) 705-6027 for assistance.
- Schedule an Annual Review and Dismissal (ARD) meeting to discuss the progress your child has made since your last Individualized Education Program (IEP) review. Ask for written suggestions that may help your child and the staff at the new school.
- Request a copy of your child’s complete educational record to include a copy of the latest IEP. Hand carry all records, samples of your child’s work, and other information related to your child’s education.
- Contact the local Exceptional Family Member Program, Special Needs Coordinator (SJAFB 919-722-0809 or DSN 722-0809) for assistance with identifying resources at your new duty station. You may also contact the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) Family Support Coordinator at the Airman and Family Readiness Center (SJAFB 919 -722-1123 or DSN 722-1123). Be sure to take any special equipment and refill medication prescriptions that your child may need for the next few months.
- Contact the School Liaison Officer to assist with transitioning your child to the new school.
School and Military Association Links
- Wayne County Public Schools provides public K-12 education for Seymour Johnson AFB children. For additional resources from the Military Counselor, click the Military Parents link on the Wayne County Public Schools home page.
- North Carolina Department of Public Instruction is the governing body for all public K-12 schools in North Carolina; they provide information and support to North Carolina public schools.
- North Carolina School Report Cards provides current statistical data including test results on each public school in North Carolina.
- North Carolina Virtual Public School provides on-line courses.
- North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education provides information on the requirements to home school your child in the state of North Carolina.
- North Carolina Online Colleges & Universities
- Department of Defense Districts and Schools on the Web
- Arendell Parrott Academy, TK-12
- Faith Christian Academy, PK-12
- Saint Mary School, PK- 8
- Wayne Christian School, Daycare-12
- Wayne Country Day School, K-12